Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Musical Worms

It's pretty run-of-the-mill to get a song stuck in your head; you feel as though it's on repeat in your mind and you can't get it out. Sometimes it's an entire song, or sometimes it's just a line or a small section of the song, and it slowly begins to drive you crazy.

There is actually scientific explanation of this! Those little bits of songs are called "earworms," and you can read all about them here. Reportedly over 91% of people surveyed experience this at least monthly... That's a lot of music!

My problem is a bit more odd, though, as I don't get portions of songs, or even whole songs stuck in my head; my earworms are much longer (more like ear-snakes, I guess). I get playlists stuck in my head. I haven't self-evaluated enough yet to find trends or themes between these song combinations, but I have a feeling they most likely relate to my mood in some way or another.

So I thought I would share with you my current ear-snake. Feel free to psycho-analyze!

The Monkees - As We Go Along
This is the music of a peaceful revolution. From the long-ish prelude to the poetic words, I'm captivated by this song. It's the sound of the sun setting over a lake.



Pure Prairie League - Aime
This song is being a teenager and being an adult in one package, and I'm not really sure why. There's nothing decisive or powerful about it, but it makes me feel hopeful in my hopelessness.



The Dixie Chicks - You Were Mine
Despite the fact that I am 21, single, and childless, as soon as the chorus plays I'm belting it as emotionally as a recently-divorced middle-aged woman with two kids and a broken heart. Sing on, Dixie Chicks. Sing on.




Dan Seals - Everything that Glitters is Not Gold
There is something about this song that makes me feel as though I grew up listening to it, regardless of the fact that I heard it for the first time last year.



Taylor Swift - Best Day
Tears, tears, and wait -- what's that? Oh. More tears. Taylor knows me, and she knows how to pull my heartstrings with her guitar strings.




7 comments:

  1. Taylor Swift (well, older, pre-sell-out Taylor Swift) is great for emotional songs. I don't mind admitting that I can't listen to Fifteen or Mine without tearing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting to see how much of an impact that music has on our daily life without us even really noticing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool post. I didn't know there was a term for this. I can't say I've experienced your expanded "ear-snake" variety, but it sounds like an interesting phenomenon! Maybe you have the Guinness World Record for longest earworm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to always get songs stuck in my head, and if it is a Taylor Swift song, then it is going to stay in there a while. I love music a lot, but I always seem to get songs in my head right when I am trying to go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard "You Were Mine" or "Everything That Glitters is Not Gold" in so many years! Thank you! I'd forgotten how much I loved them both. Now they're stuck in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, these can be so frustrating, but so comforting too! I'll find myself humming or tapping sometimes, for no reason, and when I try to catch the tune it disappears on me, only to come back the moment I'm not paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do this all the time. My roommates and my parents hate me for it! Glad to know it is common, though.

    ReplyDelete